Monday, November 1, 2010

Portuguese Bean Soup Bento


Portuguese Bean Soup Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today's no-cook bento had Portuguese bean soup leftover from last weekend. As everyone knows, soup gets better over the next couple days as the flavors mingle and the broth thickens. So this is a win-win bento. Extra-flavorful soup that required no additional work. Yay! This soup, based on Sam Choy's recipe, contains a bunch of vegetables (tomato, carrots, cabbage, cilantro, onion, celery) along with potates, kidney beans, ham and sausage. It's a very hearty and satisfying soup. It's especially comforting on those cold Fall nights. We've been having 75 degree days, but it still looks like fall out there with the leaves flying off the trees, it feels nice and seasonal. I packed his soup in the froggie thermal container, which comes with a small upper bowl in which I placed some grapes, sliced persimmon, a few peapods, and a quail egg skull to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. Okay, it's an excuse to make another quail egg skull. This time I lightly pinched in the sides closest to the tapered end to simulate the cheekbones, and it made the cranium pop out, which I think looks pretty good. You could probably do this with a hen's egg too, for larger-scale fun. Happy November, friends!

11 comments:

  1. One of my most fave soups! Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! Total homesick trigger. Too bad we don't have Redondo's though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup sounds so good right now. Happy Dia De Los Muertos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sonoma Bento. You too. Yay Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm, I could sure use a stew/soup on a day like today too! Perfect. I also love that little spoon. Hm, you've got me thinking of making stew this weekend! Thanks Sheri.. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, most any soup/stew is better the next day (or even the 2d day after). Plus, it makes for speedy morning packing! I bet this would also be great to pour over rice. The little skull is a last reminder of Halloween/spooky fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had this type of soup before. Looks yum and warm! I thought is goulash soup hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe! The soup sounds very tasty. I must observe cooking times :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Good that someone else made Dia de los muertos bento too ^_^.
    Great soup! Delicious.. love those Portuguese dishes, very similar to brazilian :9

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy soup you got there!! I also picked up some persimmons hoping to make an o-lantern with them but i'm too late. haha...I guess I'll just be slicing them up and eating them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Chantale; cool! Your cold weather sounds perfect for soup. That's a sporfe (spoon fork knife) -- I can pack it every day without thinking about which utensil he actually needs. Haha! It's perfect!
    Stretching My Imagination: you're right. We ate the end of the soup over fresh pasta and it was good like that too, heh. Thanks a lot!
    Lia, it's maybe too hot for you to have much soup throughout the year... but it's good! Thanks!
    Thanks Mokiko; I do hope you can try it. It simmers awhile but isn't much work.
    karaimame; yay! Dia de Los Muertos ftw! I guess you would have a version of this soup too.. with similar sausage? I love the spicy sausage but I had to search the mild one for the kids :( Trying to work on that one :)
    Mrs.P, you can still make a harvest face with your persimmon; I think it's okay! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete