Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Tree Jook and Rudolph Bento


Christmas Tree Jook Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Since tomorrow is December first, I decided to make a first Christmas-themed bento set. I made two, in fact! MisterMan gets turkey jook, made using the Thanksgiving turkey carcass to make turkey stock. I tossed the thigh bones in as well, and at the end of the hour of simmering, the meat had all fallen off the bones and the broth was nice and flavorful. I used only half the carcass, so there's one more batch to go. I have to admit I love turkey jook -- much more so than the actual turkey it began with. Personally I like to throw in ginger, scallion and garlic chili paste to give it a tasty kick. For the kids I keep it more mild. I did sprinkle on some chopped green onion before I realized it landed in kind of a tree formation. Okay, I rearranged a little, and added a kabocha star, but I'm calling it a Christmas tree bento.
The fruit and veggie side dish is the top tier of this thermal bento. I gave him a satsuma mandarin, some pan-fried kabocha, broccoli and a grape. It's kind of a small box.


For TinySprite, I turned a char siu bao into Rudolph with carved carrot antler, grape eyes and a radish nose. She also got some pan-fried kabocha, steamed broccoli and sliced kiwi. Happy December, and welcome to the Christmas season!

20 comments:

  1. nice touch with the congee, never seen it so festive. nitce touch with the reindeer too, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raspberry Jam, javapot and Debra! Merry Christmas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute Christmas bento ... I love the char siu bao ...^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your congee looks so festive with the Xmas tree on the top, great idea! And I love your reindeer char siu bao. The red nose just perfect! Feels like Christmas already, yeah (^.^)/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lina. So much you can do with a char siu bao!

    Thanks Lia! Not yet here, but trying to get into the festivities more each day :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Christmas tree idea, simple yet beautiful. The char siu bao into Rudolph looks cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot Sysyl! It's a simple transformation anyone can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so lovely of the tree and very cute Rudolph :p
    Seeing them make me happy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy turkey jook!!! I love to eat jook too..hehe. Both bentos are so cute! Love the X'mas tree idea, thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good idea for creating the Christmas tree on top. It really shows that images can come from anywhere - I need to learn to see that more in my own ideas. Kiwis make such a perfect bento ingredient with their bright color and easiness to cut.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! ♫♪Christmas bento from Sheri, Christmas bento from Sheri ♩♬ ^_^
    I am feeling like eating that jook now... after that tenebrous headache of mine, that would feel so good ...
    Aw, and the kabocha star is just a special touch =). Adorable Rudolph, oh so cute to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, lovely savory use of Thanksgiving leftover brigdes November into December so well. Love it when an accident becomes an inspiration, like your scallion tree--so fun!

    How darling is that char siu bao Rudolph, complete with bright carrot antlers? Happy December and thanks for sharing all of your cheerful inspirations with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The carrot antlers are brilliant! You are so creative and think outside of the box. I love your adorable bentos sheri, and I am so glad I met you this year! Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Yenny, Emily, Stretching My Imagination, karaimame, bentobird and Sonoma Bento.

    So sweet! It's true; seasonal images can come from anywhere. I am just as inspired by all of you. I love this bento community!

    Really happy to have met you too Michelle! One day we'll meet in real life as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's aMAZing, that Christmas tree! SO creative, as always. And the antlers are waaayyy cute too! You're an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really appreciate your kind comments. Thank you Anu Gummaraju!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm, gingery turkey jook. I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, you certainly must! So good comfort food on a cold night!

    ReplyDelete