Monday, October 18, 2010

Sushi and Jack O'Egg Bento


Sushi and Jack O'Egg Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
These two bento are from last Friday; I was too lazy to post them then so I'm posting now. It works out great because today's bento were purchased banh mi sandwiches which weren't really worth posting. I didn't even take any pictures of them. Last Friday I made sardine furikake and used it to make these sushi rolls. I also added sliced cucumber as well. MisterMan's bento had a full-size roll plus a hard-boiled egg carved into a jack-o-lantern. It kinda looks like a ghost pumpkin, don't you think? There are carrots, strawberry and grapes as well. I added a little container of shoyu and packed them into my new nesting frog boxes.
TinySprite's bento has the same sushi but I made mini rolls for her. She also got a cup of broccoli florets that I had sauteed with shallots and toasted walnuts. I rounded out her bento with grapes, carrots, a crabapple and a golden cherry tomato. I noticed during her first two days of preschool she didn't have much appetite for her bento, and brought the leftovers to finish at home. Well, on Friday I let her stay until the end of the lunch period, and sure enough, she finished the whole thing. I'm glad, because this bento looks pretty small to me, compared to what she usually eats at home. I'm thinking that she's been distracted by the kids and the novelty of school, and when things get more settled she'll have more of an appetite again.

13 comments:

  1. Heehee, I love the egg o'lantern! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the eggO'Lantern!
    BTW, did you use regular brown rice to make sushi rolls? or is there any special brown sushi rice? I want to try that for my boys, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan!
    Thanks Lina; I used a mix of white and short grain brown rice to make the sushi. You should make sure you use short grain, and enough water that it cooks sticky enough. You should definitely try it; it's easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the jack o'egg, the yolk really makes the details stand out..so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mommyof2girlz!
    I was happy about the way the yolk turned out. You have to make sure the yolk is near the surface where you choose to carve; otherwise you'll have to cut too deep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great one again! Using the egg for Jack is so clever! The sushi rolls for TS is smaller than the ones for MM right? Did she finish all the foods in this bento at school?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sushi with mixed rice is so good idea.. I should have a try! Adding fiber to food is always good.
    Loved the Jack O´Egg! October is so fun month here in your blog!
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Jack is really cute. And the yolk is so bright yellow.
    I love the mini apple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahaha, I like the tiny things idea for TS' bento. I especially love the tiny sushi and apple :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the jack'o egg lantern. you have so many ideas to make the lantern from any edible stuff! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh! I love that ghost pumpkin!! So cool.. Man, your kids friends must all wait and watch to see what they have for their lunches everyday. It's so cool! lol. TS is probably having too much fun with her friends to actually eat. But you're right, once she settles in she'll probably be a pro at eating AND talking. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You amaze me! The upside down stem pick is brilliant on the ghostie pumpkin. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Lia! TS rolls are smaller. I was afraid she wouldn't finish so I gave her less, but it turns out she got her appetite back and finished it all :)

    Karaimame, yes! I like to add extra protein and fiber if you can. Lentils too. Thanks!

    Thanks Flicksi and tatabonita!

    Thanks anna2003 -- last year I carved jack out of lots of different foods. This year tried something different.

    I never tried that ghost pumpkin before but it was fun! You should try! Thanks Chantale!

    Thanks Sonoma Bento!

    ReplyDelete