Thursday, October 21, 2010

Boo! Bento


Boo! Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
For MisterMan's bento I made balsamic vinegar chicken, based on Maki's recipe. I simply mixed equal volumes of balsamic vinegar and shoyu, marinated overnight, and oven-roasted the next day. I cut the chicken into smaller pieces so they'd cook faster, and also for ease of eating. You can sprinkle with sesame seeds, but I totally forgot about that. It's really good, and I love the way the chicken comes out a rich dark brown color. Since I was using the oven I also roasted some tomatoes and brussels sprouts. These I tossed with garlic powder. Everything nestles in a green lettuce leaf, as usual, along with a piece of corn on the cob decorated with purple and orange carrots. In the fruit section I put some black grapes, a few nectarine slices and a tiny tangerine. Since I had another section I scooped some yogurt and topped with letters spelling Boo! cut from nectarine and purple carrots. Only one bento today; TinySprite hung out with me for the day. I've noticed that the days she has off from preschool are days she seems to catch up on napping. Yay!

17 comments:

  1. Boo! as in awesome Halloween bento...not "boo" as in I don't like. :) Just making sure. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri, you are so smart to use nectarine to make BOO! The letters look like bleeding, awesome for Halloween theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot Debra, Lina, and Lia!
    Eww, bleeding letters. Didn't think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the rich colours you put in this bento and this is the kind of Halloween bento I like most, the non-scary ones :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. heheheee...nice colors...and the letter of BOO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the BOO and the autumn leaves!
    Very nice bento! I was wondering, are the sections of the box secure tight? I would love to include yoghurt to my girls but i am always afraid it will spill everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ceinwyn; it's nice to have some that are festive without being creepy, I agree.
    Thanks Yenny, tatabonita and Lyndsey!
    karaimame, this box has a molded lid that sort of seals each section. It's not watertight but it keeps everything in its own compartment. I'll post a pic next time. Thanks :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving all your cute Halloween bentos - I swear I'm going to making something cute for myself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheri, this is so fun! Wait, the little mister eats brussel sprouts too?! You have the best kids I'm telling you.. Great balance of protein, sweets and veggies. I really love the combo of roasted cherry tomatoes & those brussel sprouts! Also, you make ppl like me look lazy. I just used a pick that says boo.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Boo! Agreed with Lia that the letters look like bleeding! And I love the carrot flowers on top of the corn too! So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In smiles from this fresh, lovely Halloween poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lunch Buckets! You totally should :D
    Chantale, MM eats it all... he's "allsome" !! But TS is just like all the other kids. Needs to be cajoled or fed. Can't win 'em all. I don't have any fancy Halloween picks!! Or I'd use 'em for sure. Thanks!
    Thanks KidsDreamWork!
    Thanks bentobird; that is so sweet :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Boo letters look really pretty!

    ReplyDelete