Monday, October 25, 2010

Bat and Char Siu Bao O'lantern Bento


Bat Bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
Today's double bento post is from last Friday. MisterMan got a bacon-wrapped turkey burger and roasted purple potatoes. He got a colorful selection of veggies including broccoli, purple cauliflower, carrots and a tomato, as well as a piece of corn on the cob. I think that's the first time I actually used 5 different color vegetables in a single bento. Yay! Only bummer is that this one is light on the fruit. I used a bunch of black grapes to design a bat on the corn. You might need to use a bit of imagination. My boy called it an octopus until I hinted that it fell into the Halloween category. After awhile he guessed "Uh, a bat?" Um, yee-ssss. Sigh.
TinySprite gets a more finger friendly bento -- a perfectly round char siu bao just called for transformation into a jack-o-lantern. I cut the features with a small paring knife, and rather than punch out the cutouts, I just lightly pushed them in. So much easier, and it looks fine this way. I used a piece of corn on the cob for the stem, and filled in the rest of the gaps with the same veggies as in her brother's bento. Done! Love these quick ones. Just a few more days of Halloween themed bento, but it's been fun! ^_^

22 comments:

  1. I can't stand it. These are so darn cool! Pushing the cutouts on the char siu.. genius! That bat is so cute, I don't know if I'd want to eat him. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I repeat what Chantale wrote, Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, that is SO DARN AWESOME! I love your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool idea, and always love your well balanced and colourful bentos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chantale, Debra, Rachael and Bobo! So sweet :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheri,

    Love the bat!! You won the giveaway on my site for the Halloween craft book. I sent you an email!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sent you another email, if you don't get it, just email me your address to send to the publisher. It might be in your spam? TY!~!~

    ReplyDelete
  8. The both boxes are awesome..great job, Sheri :b

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a lot Yenny. I'm getting the hang of two boxes, but don't put the level of cuteness in both the way you do. Just a little is enough for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I really love both of them. Your bat and o'lantern are such a genius work! Did your kids peek on each other bento? hehehe ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW... if I have the same ingredients I am positive I could not come up with something like this, AMAZING work!!!! Love the bat and o'lantern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lia! They do look at each others' bento. No jealousy about that yet...Different preferences maybe?
    Lina, I am sure you could! Most of the appeal of my bento is directly from the colorful foods itself. I put such a small amout of actual charaben detail in there. Anyone could do the same. Thank you so much; you're always so sweet :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that Jack! hehe~~~I'm so going to try it too! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantanstic color for the Bat bento. Haha..the Bao O'lantern is sooo cute, love the way you made it, simple yet pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bat is just so cool. It also looks like a spaceship hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two wonderful bentos! The bat is so cool! "freaky" eyes staring at me!! hahaha
    Lovely jack´o ! I read the comment you made to Lia.. oh gosh, nice to make "different" bentos! I need to do exactly same otherwise I hear "complaints" XD

    ReplyDelete
  17. The bat is so creative! I love the ends of the grapes for his eyes, it looks really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The colors in MisterMan's bento are so vibrant. And the grape-bat is clever - I've been trying to find "black" items to use in bentos (especially for bats) and this one seems to work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can totally see the bat! A-chan does the same thing with her bentos sometimes. "Neat bunny, Mata." "Um...it's a lion." LOL :D I love the bao, it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet 5 color veggie bento! I need to find some purple cauliflower. :) With all of this practice on bento Jacks, I bet you are an excellent pumpkin carver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Tiffany, Emily, tatabonita, karaimame, OhayoBento, Stretching My Imagination, Natakiya and Sonoma Bento!

    Tatabonita, it does look like a UFO! I'll have to remember to use that one again :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Sonoma Bento,
    Actually I'm a wimp at carving real pumpkins. It's hard! My specialty is mini exclusively :o)

    ReplyDelete